Boomy

Spell damage gems explained

21 posts in this topic

I'm a relatively newcomer to the game and started a pally as an off class. Now i read today that spell damage doesnt affect pally in any way at all ?

I get the basic principle behind strenght agi int etc but as far as the embed gems goes, shouldn't purple (spell) gems boost skill damage as it states ? I'm curious because if it doesnt affect dmg it should at least boost healing ? Does those gems only boost mystic atm ? Why do we get it on the other classes then ? 

This is puzzling to me as you can get spell gems and stats on gear both on pally and hunter ( my 2 classes ) and while im not using it on hunter because,crits, i absolutely do not get whats the point of having them on those classes if it does absolutely nothing. Tha ks for any clarification

Spell def i find was needed for any paladin path except tank path.. 

Higher spell def = less damage received from boss AoE (very useful)

If tank path then go P.Def cas you will be taking hits and spam healed.

15 minutes ago, R0sers said:

Spell def i find was needed for any paladin path except tank path.. 

Higher spell def = less damage received from boss AoE (very useful)

If tank path then go P.Def cas you will be taking hits and spam healed.

But im asking about spell damage mate lol I'm templar I'm aware how to build the tank that wasn't even in the question lol...

No problem lol. Im still not cleared up about my point sadly

6 hours ago, thegreatestviz said:

Posting relevant thread to answer your question:

It is relevant but it doesnt answer my question. And pally arent even mentionned in there. I might be wrong but warriors and rangers have no inhate healing so spell damage is irrelevant to them but could/should still affect pally.

In fact, spell damage as it stands should affect any and all skills unless physical classes have skills and mystics have spells instead of skills, if you get my meaning. My pally has a 89-89 base spell dmg on his sheet i can't wrap my head around the fact that increasing that would do squat.

The post panda has made is a good general reference but it needs fine tuning or spell damage needs to be removed from the 3 physical classes sheet if its really as simple as being useless to them.

On 11/12/2017 at 2:12 PM, Boomy said:

I'm a relatively newcomer to the game and started a pally as an off class. Now i read today that spell damage doesnt affect pally in any way at all ?

I get the basic principle behind strenght agi int etc but as far as the embed gems goes, shouldn't purple (spell) gems boost skill damage as it states ? I'm curious because if it doesnt affect dmg it should at least boost healing ? Does those gems only boost mystic atm ? Why do we get it on the other classes then ? 

This is puzzling to me as you can get spell gems and stats on gear both on pally and hunter ( my 2 classes ) and while im not using it on hunter because,crits, i absolutely do not get whats the point of having them on those classes if it does absolutely nothing. Tha ks for any clarification

As far as I know the purple spell damage gems are useless to warrior, pally and ranger... they use the red damage gems... even tho you can roll spell damage  on both classes it is again useless...  I have a character of each class... the mystic is the only one that uses spell damage (purple) gems...

If youve read the stat reference table that redpanda posted then it explains the stats... tho it doesnt go though gems...

I am not sure why we can roll the unneeded stats on our equipment except for that each roll is just a chance, which is why reg stones are needed so much...

I hope this helps a little bit...

2 people like this

17 hours ago, Boomy said:

spell damage as it stands should affect any and all skills unless physical classes have skills and mystics have spells instead of skills

i get where you're coming from as a wow vet i understand spell damage should affect 'spells' in general but in crusaders of light spell based gear and stats are specific to mystic ONLY. i believe this is because they are the only caster class as such. Paladins historically were a combo of damage and spells but here its integrated to damage only.

1 person likes this

I think the reason they have scaled all paladin skills off strength is so it is simpler.

In theory as stated above m att should increase healing but a lot of the pali healing is part of the skill and not direct to a player. Except judgement.

Daylight Paladin path has as its bonus an increase of 50% in Judgement SPD (Spell Damage if I recall right) scaling. This makes it a bit confusing for me, if SPD doesn't affect Paladins' skills then why do we have a path boosting the scaling with it on our special skill?

1 person likes this

I completely went with spell defense. Am I doing it wrong? Should I do physical defense instead, figured bosses cast spells that sometimes I can’t avoid.

1 hour ago, Piet said:

I completely went with spell defense. Am I doing it wrong? Should I do physical defense instead, figured bosses cast spells that sometimes I can’t avoid.

As a tank you should be balanced with both physical and magic defence. Maybe slightly more p.Def.

Thank you guys for your intake. It makes no sense to me they went that way but ill take it for what it is. As for judgement spd scaling i believe its spell defense and not spell damage as someone claimed. Meaning if you give this to someone, his spell def will temporarily go up. If you are using it on yourself then yes you need more spell def than phys def. Thats the reasoning so far anyways.

I still hope for an official response on heals and purple gems usefulness.

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, Boomy said:

Thank you guys for your intake. It makes no sense to me they went that way but ill take it for what it is. As for judgement spd scaling i believe its spell defense and not spell damage as someone claimed. Meaning if you give this to someone, his spell def will temporarily go up. If you are using it on yourself then yes you need more spell def than phys def. Thats the reasoning so far anyways.

I still hope for an official response on heals and purple gems usefulness.

A proper list of scaling and numbers on skills wouldn't be bad at all, and thank you for clarifying the boost of SPD on judgement ^^.

On 11/14/2017 at 1:56 AM, Alastor said:

Daylight Paladin path has as its bonus an increase of 50% in Judgement SPD (Spell Damage if I recall right) scaling. This makes it a bit confusing for me, if SPD doesn't affect Paladins' skills then why do we have a path boosting the scaling with it on our special skill?

"SPD" is Speed. All of the paladins skills scale off strength. The easiest way to tell is to look at the bonus stats you get in each path. Mystics get int, warriors and paladins get strength, rangers get agility.

Isn't there an achievement for forging a spell diamond? That would be the only reason I can see why my warrior, paladin and ranger get them.

On 11/17/2017 at 3:04 PM, Ways said:

Isn't there an achievement for forging a spell diamond? That would be the only reason I can see why my warrior, paladin and ranger get them.

If you forge a attack or hp or w/e diamond that is below 1.1% you can dismantle and exchange for any diamond thus giving you all achievements.