Gregory

Pally Tanking

21 posts in this topic

I’m looking for any guides or thoughts on tanking with the pally. I know it’s brand new. But any thoughts will be useful. 

I'm trying to make a Tankadin myself and I'm trying to see what's best in general but it's not easy.

First of all, I'm a newb to this game so I don't know how ot minmax things but I'll give my inputs:

• My active skills are: Torah Sword, Reigning Sword, Glory of the Paladins and Durance of Truth
  • HP, Defenses and Strenght are the stats I would focus on (aswell as hit rating) since Tankadins have their shields based on their Max HP.

That's all I can say, I don't know if I should level the branches of the Orbs so much because I don't really know how much they're reliable (but probably you should).

I'll post a short guide if I get some time. I can say that alastor you're using the wrong skills though..

8 hours ago, IveGotToeJam said:

I can say that alastor you're using the wrong skills though..

What am I doing wrong?

My only doubt is that maybe I should include Shield of Order, but that might happen once I have more tanking gear (I'm still levelling) and thus I will be able to care a bit less about self heals/shields.

Edited by Alastor

15 hours ago, IveGotToeJam said:

I'll post a short guide if I get some time. I can say that alastor you're using the wrong skills though..

Reining sword, Torah sword and Glory of Paladins are must have, the only swapable skill is Durance of Truth which provides you a gap closer, armor, hp regen, DoT and silence; yea it could be swapped to shield of order or Divine guidance ( situationaly) but not required.

To say that he's using the wrong skills means that either YOU don't know what you are doing or you are just trolling.

1 person likes this

I mix mine up. Torah and reining are always on my bar. A majority of the time use shield throw and truth.  Truth I think is a little gimp for the armor increase you must be in it . IMO there is just to much movement for it to be effective. I tend to sub glory for truth most of the time. I am considering using sacred grace I think it is the second attack in the skill tree over truth.  I think with the rune proc after Torah getting the damage reduced it be better that not keeping or only being in truth for a sec . I also think the healing is better with it.

I think ya'll may be over-estimating the boon Torah Sword gives you. It doesn't do a ton of damage, it doesn't do much healing (even when you invest a lot of runes into it), and the only time it reduces incoming damage is when it's used in conjunction with Divine Guidance (if you've invested runes into that). It gives you a small chance of resetting Shield of Sanctity, sure, but that's about it.

I'd much rather run with Durance of Truth, Glory of Paladins, Reigning Sword, and Divine Guidance. Every single one of those abilities does substantial healing, damage reduction, or both.

In total, that means you have 2 bubbles and 5 heals, 3 of which are self heals, 1 is a self or teammate heal, and the last is a nice AOE heal. I've been testing this out in PvP and team raids, and I'm borderline unkillable despite being a 35 path with about 11k hp. Replacing any of those abilities with Torah Sword will just reduce your survivability.

Edited by ThisIsAnnoying
1 person likes this

I use durance of truth shield of order glory of paladins and divine guidance.

On 11/4/2017 at 4:08 AM, ThisIsAnnoying said:

I think ya'll may be over-estimating the boon Torah Sword gives you. It doesn't do a ton of damage, it doesn't do much healing (even when you invest a lot of runes into it), and the only time it reduces incoming damage is when it's used in conjunction with Divine Guidance (if you've invested runes into that). It gives you a small chance of resetting Shield of Sanctity, sure, but that's about it.

I'd much rather run with Durance of Truth, Glory of Paladins, Reigning Sword, and Divine Guidance. Every single one of those abilities does substantial healing, damage reduction, or both.

In total, that means you have 2 bubbles and 5 heals, 3 of which are self heals, 1 is a self or teammate heal, and the last is a nice AOE heal. I've been testing this out in PvP and team raids, and I'm borderline unkillable despite being a 35 path with about 11k hp. Replacing any of those abilities with Torah Sword will just reduce your survivability.

Torah is useful for guidance. Guidance's damage reduction will be on effect right after Torah is used. I'm always using Torah and no problem in tanking. That's why torah has less damage to balance the skills. I'm a tank / dps templar by the way.

On 11/4/2017 at 10:25 PM, Bluerain said:

Torah is useful for guidance. Guidance's damage reduction will be on effect right after Torah is used. I'm always using Torah and no problem in tanking. That's why torah has less damage to balance the skills. I'm a tank / dps templar by the way.

I'm not saying it isn't useful at all, but I'm not sure that it's *more* useful than any of the other abilities I mentioned, even with the damage reduction it gives DG. I could see it being useful in PvP, but even then I think I'd prefer Shield of Order for its slow+silence effect (the shield removal from Torah is really nice, but I do arena with warriors, who have enough shield removers as it is).

IMO sword of torah sucks! I use durance order glory and reign, push 7k dps easily.

11 minutes ago, Piet said:

IMO sword of torah sucks! I use durance order glory and reign, push 7k dps easily.

As a Tankadin I'd focus on survivability and utility/off heals rather than dps.

Yes true but all skills listed heal and sometimes I don’t have to taunt because of my dps 

On 31/10/2017 at 4:19 PM, Astral said:

Reining sword, Torah sword and Glory of Paladins are must have, the only swapable skill is Durance of Truth which provides you a gap closer, armor, hp regen, DoT and silence; yea it could be swapped to shield of order or Divine guidance ( situationaly) but not required.

To say that he's using the wrong skills means that either YOU don't know what you are doing or you are just trolling.

Nah. Just read the skills, what the give you and also what you receive from runes. Durance of truth is for the 3rd path. If you’re using it as a tank I’d say you’re doing it wrong. I’ve done hell 2 lords and yes I tanked it.

3 hours ago, IveGotToeJam said:

Nah. Just read the skills, what the give you and also what you receive from runes. Durance of truth is for the 3rd path. If you’re using it as a tank I’d say you’re doing it wrong. I’ve done hell 2 lords and yes I tanked it.

Couldn't disagree more, just because the said skill gets a bonus when using Pally of Daylight, doesn't mean it only should be used by that path... The effect of the skill alone is more than welcome for templars as it gives damage reduction + HoT (hello survivability), not to mention that together with Reigning Sword it will help you keep the aggro of mobs when you lure the whole dungeon, if anything I'd say that it makes no sense for Pally of Dawn to use it as it will potentially reduce their DPS, at least for now...

after playing a while with the skills, I no longer think Torah sword is worth it, even if it has a chance to reset the CD of the shield.

I think the better setup is, Durance of truth, shield of order, reining sword and glory of paladins.

Shield of order just has too much dps/aoe to pass on and it gives an HP regen as well.

1 person likes this

After some more practice I think that indeed after you level up your Shield of Order rune that improves its regen you can swap Torah Sword with it. I think that there are 2 to-go skill sets depending on the nature of the fight and the group:

1. Shield of Order, Reigning Sword, Glory of the Paladins and Durance of Truth if you are pretty confident with the fight and want to focus on keeping a good damage output.
  2. Torah Sword, Reigning Sword, Glory of the Paladins and Divine Guidance if you think that the damage reduction from Torah -> Guidance combo and the latters' healing can be more useful or if the fight doesn't allow you to safely stay into Durance range.

Those 2 setups can cower any situation.

I have been running Torah, shield, reigning and covenant.

If things get ugly I swap out shield for divine grace and coven for glory.

as of now it’s really hard to see what the best set up is. There are just so many tanks in groups right now . Everyone is using chains or judgement.

i am pushing 32k rating. Almost 15k hp. 

Edited by Ingleburn

On 11/3/2017 at 4:08 PM, ThisIsAnnoying said:

I like you post and switched one skill out of all of yours and been a tremendous help. Thank you so very much.