Wintermist

Don't you think this game need a col-head.com?

30 posts in this topic

Do you think this game need a website similar to oac-head or any similar websites where it shows what's new in each update, skills setups, gear setups and stats and where to get items (dungeons, craft, pvp, etc.), and mounts? I do hope someone would create a website like this for this game

We'd certainly love to see something like this too!

Not worry, this issue is solved. I made oac-head for oac and I had start making of database for col already.

Nick who runs the head versions for other games also built one for this and is still working on it:

col-head.com

Col-head is only API stealing web, which dont have own content. Same as oac-head. He just takes foreign data (from CN web, .apk file) and earns money it through ads. That he violates the copyright, but nobody cares, apparently.

8 minutes ago, Mlejto said:

Col-head is only API stealing web, which dont have own content. Same as oac-head. He just takes foreign data (from CN web, .apk file) and earns money it through ads. That he violates the copyright, but nobody cares, apparently.

It's really strange when the game database does not have its own content. You forgot to mention that it's thousands of hours of work, for which you need high skills of a designer and a programmer. That's why advertising is needed to somehow recoup the time spent on this hard work. But you very young to know this, right?

1 minute ago, NickJr said:

It's really strange when the game database does not have its own content. You forgot to mention that it's thousands of hours of work, for which you need high skills of a designer and a programmer. That's why advertising is needed to somehow recoup the time spent on this hard work. But you very young to know this, right?

It does not matter. It can be really hard work, but it violates copyright law and AdSense rules. It's still not yours content and u need approval from the trademark owner. It is as if you defended cracker, which making pirate version of games.

So you are probably too young to know the laws, right? :).

2 minutes ago, Mlejto said:

It does not matter. It can be really hard work, but it violates copyright law and AdSense rules. It's still not yours content and u need approval from the trademark owner. It is as if you defended cracker, which making pirate version of games.

So you are probably too young to know the laws, right? :).

Oh, really? A trademark is any word, photograph, or symbol that is used to identify specific products or services. Permission is not required to use a trademark if your use is part of accurate comparative product statements.

Do not compare website and the game. This is two different kinds of products. First one is information resource that just support game and it can't replace game's functions.
By the way, companies that makes games such WoW, OaC or CoL, always happy when their product has big customer base with fans who are working for free for popularize the game. Skilled proffesional programmer who can make quality web database for free - it is a diamond that need care and support. Just because not many players of game can do something more than playing the games.

2 minutes ago, NickJr said:

Oh, really? A trademark is any word, photograph, or symbol that is used to identify specific products or services. Permission is not required to use a trademark if your use is part of accurate comparative product statements.

Do not compare website and the game. This is two different kinds of products. First one is information resource that just support game and it can't replace game's functions.
By the way, companies that makes games such WoW, OaC or CoL, always happy when their product has big customer base with fans who are working for free for popularize the game. Skilled proffesional programmer who can make quality web database for free - it is a diamond that need care and support. Just because not many players of game can do something more than playing the games.

Well, so differently – On your site you have a copy of articles from another site (for example cn website web) without permission from the author. And there is no quote or source, so this is a violation of copyright.

The fact that you have to earn foreign work on your AdSense site. You have not owned content, pictures, texts etc. which u dont create. Another thing is that the NetEase can support you because it want. If the NetEase wanted to sue you, it could.

Of course, gaming companies mostly support similar projects. However, you are advocating here that everything what you do is 100% legal.

6 minutes ago, Mlejto said:

Well, so differently – On your site you have a copy of articles from another site (for example cn website web) without permission from the author. And there is no quote or source, so this is a violation of copyright.

The fact that you have to earn foreign work on your AdSense site. You have not owned content, pictures, texts etc. which u dont create. Another thing is that the NetEase can support you because it want. If the NetEase wanted to sue you, it could.

Of course, gaming companies mostly support similar projects. However, you are advocating here that everything what you do is 100% legal.

VIolation of copyright is when database is using game's content for commercial purposes or when database is attributed authorship of content that was created by game's developers.

1. Try to buy something at oachead or colhead.

2. Show me where oachead or colhead wrote that content is not a part of games.

The information resource describing the game is as legal as the journalist's article about the game. No one can forbid me or a journalist to describe the game. Read the laws.

P.s. It is a second time when you noticed that I use cn websites as source of info. Can you show me these websites because I don't know its and I use the game as a source of content. This is a very hard work to make screenshots of every items from game and retype all item's descriptions from hundreds of pictures, I want to use your cn websites instead this.

Maybe you guys need to chill a bit and stop measuring each others **cks? This has gotten off-topic anyway. 

2 people like this

Just now, Vikky said:

Maybe you guys need to chill a bit and stop measuring each others **cks? This has gotten off-topic anyway. 

Yep but this guy should give me links to cn websites with info. I need em very very very much. I'm working for chinese version of colhead at this moment and it is exremly hard to retype chinese text from screen when you don't know chinese language.

15 minutes ago, NickJr said:

VIolation of copyright is when database is using game's content for commercial purposes or when database is attributed authorship of content that was created by game's developers.

1. Try to buy something at oachead or colhead.

2. Show me where oachead or colhead wrote that content is not a part of games.

The information resource describing the game is as legal as the journalist's article about the game. No one can forbid me or a journalist to describe the game. Read the laws.

P.s. It is a second time when you noticed that I use cn websites as source of info. Can you show me these websites because I don't know its and I use the game as a source of content. This is a very hard work to make screenshots of every items from game and retype all item's descriptions from hundreds of pictures, I want to use your cn websites instead this.

If you are a journalist to describe the game by own text or PR text. Using of foreign texts is different thing. Regarding the Chinese page on your website you have copied all the texts without sources (from here http://land.163.com/news/news/).

11 minutes ago, Vikky said:

We are just debating, it's forum. I'm just trying to tell him that he can not take a not-owned cotent and publish it as his own. 

16 minutes ago, Mlejto said:

If you are a journalist to describe the game by own text or PR text. Using of foreign texts is different thing. Regarding the Chinese page on your website you have copied all the texts without sources (from here http://land.163.com/news/news/).

You are wrong. It's a official news of game. Read every news at col-head and you will find link to source.

52 minutes ago, NickJr said:

You are wrong. It's a official news of game. Read every news at col-head and you will find link to source.

Yea it's official news, but where did you see u can copy and paste text? It is not ur text, but their. Does not matter if it is from official site or fansite, it have still copyright symbol in footer.

1 hour ago, Mlejto said:

Yea it's official news, but where did you see u can copy and paste text? It is not ur text, but their. Does not matter if it is from official site or fansite, it have still copyright symbol in footer.

It is something new. Ok, let's close all news aggregators. Write to Google, they should close asap their news.google.com because Mlejto said they aren't owners of text that they reposting. Oh, very nice word "reposting". Let's close Facebook aswell for same. Facebook users mass use freedom of speech and they are reposting millions of news everyday. Where are you from? North Korea?

1 minute ago, NickJr said:

It is something new. Ok, let's close all news aggregators. Write to Google, they should close asap their news.google.com because Mlejto said they aren't owners of text that they reposting. Oh, very nice word "reposting". Let's close Facebook aswell for same. Facebook users mass use freedom of speech and they are reposting millions of news everyday. Where are you from? North Korea?

Google uses RSS. It only quotes part of the text and then redirect to the original page. You steal complete content and visitors don't know original source of texts.

7 minutes ago, Mlejto said:

Google uses RSS. It only quotes part of the text and then redirect to the original page. You steal complete content and visitors don't know original source of texts.

This is not a book, not poetry, not movie, not music. This is the official game news on the site dedicated to the game. As I said before, every news that was taken from land.163.com has a source. You can check it by yourself to be sure and to stop tell not truth.

Authors of game want to convey this info to their customers. This is one only reason why they write these news and publish it for free. My website helps them with this task. You guess it is violate their right to authorship of text. Ok, no problem, you have right to have own opinion even if it is wrong.

Anyway it was good discussion. We started from your assertion that database is just a junk useless website with stolen content from chinese websites. And we finished at point when all what you can to say is your opinion that news aggregation violate someone's rights. It is good tranformation of opinion about value of database.

Have a nice day.

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to settle this one. We love when folks make works (websites, videos, streams) that are intended to highlight Crusaders of Light or enhance other players' experience of the game. Things like Guides, wikis, videos, or website databases, are super useful to your fellow player and we think they're great. We don't encourage things like diving into source files or ANY modifications to the client, but gathering data in any normal sort of way is totally acceptable to us.

Now some folks invest a lot of time and even money to be able to do this, and we do allow people to recoup some of those costs through advertising or promoted videos, and that's totally cool. We retain all rights, and this is limited to things that focus and add to the game; you couldn't use this to make physical products like t-shirts or your own game for instance. We can't offer any official support if you have certain types of advertising, especially if it's of an adult nature or anything that violates the Terms of Service, but we understand that these sorts of resources are costly to produce and maintain.

So if you create a great wiki or database that has ads (or not), you're cool in our book. Same thing if you stream or create videos and monetize them. Just use common sense and you should be fine. And please let us know what you do make, we'd love to share it with other CoL fans!

Thanks,
Ocho

1 person likes this

33 minutes ago, NickJr said:

This is not a book, not poetry, not movie, not music. This is the official game news on the site dedicated to the game. As I said before, every news that was taken from land.163.com has a source. You can check it by yourself to be sure and to stop tell not truth.

Authors of game want to convey this info to their customers. This is one only reason why they write these news and publish it for free. My website helps them with this task. You guess it is violate their right to authorship of text. Ok, no problem, you have right to have own opinion even if it is wrong.

Anyway it was good discussion. We started from your assertion that database is just a junk useless website with stolen content from chinese websites. And we finished at point when all what you can to say is your opinion that news aggregation violate someone's rights. It is good tranformation of opinion about value of database.

Have a nice day.

Again and again. It is more than possible that the NetEase will not mind. I told about copyright laws.

Can I just say something before we close this thread?

It's totally cool to make a site which showcases the game's content (monetize or not), I'm working on a wiki with a couple of friends as well. Havn't put ads on it, havnt seen the need to yet.

However in most cases it would be a good idea to get permission beforehand - especially if you or your friends will post it on the official forums. It's fairly easy to see where you got the content from, I'm pretty sure you're not doing this by hand.

Considering you're not doing anything harmful as of now @Ocho is right on point, @MIejto is just reminding you that you should probably get some approval. 

On that note, happy to work on something with you to further help the game, if you're interested feel free to PM me.

Cheers