Sai

9 Aug patch feedback (on exp and path)

26 posts in this topic

So there has been a dramatic boost for low levels to gain super high exp (900%) whilst far below server cap (yes i know, wow), this will help greatly for newcomers in levelling - sure. However this poses a few issues:

- new players will have no clue what they're doing and will already be at cap level, not getting into serious raids due to low path

- older players feel like they missed out, since most of them would've used for path level if they had this bonus

So a fix is implemented - if a character has gained too much exp, both character and talent, then the exp bonus will be removed, and in fact a negative bonus is put into place (for all the people complaining about the crazy exp buff, look seriously at this one)

now this is quite bad for players who planned to level up paths first, maybe multiple paths - like me, who has a negative bonus at level 40, have no idea how long it'll take me to get to cap now. In fact i think it'll be faster if i levelled an alt instead.

I dont have an issue with implementing new system, what i am concerned about is the following:

- no transparency. if netease plans to implement such an important update, i expect it to be announced BEFORE it is applied, and details along with it - eg, the amount of exp at which either a positive or negative bonus will be applied, so somewhat serious players like myself can plan slightly ahead. then i wouldnt be stuck in this situation of having to potentially take 2 weeks to get from 40 to 45.

- stop trying to level the playing field for gaming vets and novices. the current system basically funnels everyone to be on the same level and similar paths, any deviation from it will result in either a positive or negative bonus applied. now while this limits how much vets can get ahead, it also forcibly pulls casual players into a position where they may find the game frustrating - no one will take a level 45/25 into a serious skyblaze or fort heroic raid, for example. worse, even if they were accepted into the party all they would hear is constant complaining about how they are inadequate. we wouldnt have this problem if lower levels are not rocket-boosted through

(edit: or you know, god forbid these new players form a party to run end game instances, at which point they realize it's impossible with low path and complaints are made, leading to raid difficulty dropped... at this stage the vets can basically auto-combat through skyblaze ;[ )

the patch also brought in many interesting features - like stat swapping, but that's out of scope for this discussion

i'd like this new exp system to be reviewed, this will probably cause more harm than good in the long run.

Edited by Sai
2 people like this

I'm still trying to figure out the mechanics of this.

I'm level 43, plvl 38 primary and plvl 36 secondary, so you can imagine I have racked up quite a bit of exp. But I'm still getting 50% Karen city buff.

Now I wonder what happens if I use potential potion to reset path. Will I get 200% exp bonus?

So I have tested this further on a LVL16 toon that I haven't touched since launch. Did the main quest line till Trials unlocked, ran a Trial, hit LVL 20 and got Demon's Oppression (exp reduced by 1%) debuff.

Stats:

LVL 20

Experience 7,637/16,092 (Reserve Experience 23,934)

Talent LVL 5

Talent Experience 32,790/1,623

Really?

I'm lvl 40 and I got Demon's Opression. How I'll leveling now, since I need 300k exp to 41?

I have a level 38 warrior and I got excited about the 900% buff so I pumped as much exp as I could into all 3 talent trees until I got two to level 27 and one to level 20.  Now I have the debuff and it's gonna take me forever to actually level.  

What is really annoying is that there was no prompt or anything to let me know that I'm getting close to getting the debuff so I would stop leveling my paths.  

Now it's gonna take me forever to actually level up.  I feel like I can actually make more progress if I just roll an alt at this point.

23 minutes ago, tribse84 said:

Can a lvl 44 char profit from this or am i screwed?

neither profit or screwed, doesnt really affect you - unless you have really low talent levels, then you will get an exp buff

From another topic:

15 hours ago, Aelira said:

Lol im level 40 and with the 900% boost i leveled all 3 paths on level 38 easily, just crazy

If this is actually the case, it's such a slap in the face for higher levels who just leveled one path.

I am level 44 with main path 35. My other paths are 25 and 10. I haven't noticed an XP penalty yet so I can peacefully reach level 45.

However, now I will just have to level my alt-paths from 25 to 10... sloooowly. Why would I do this? It'd be much better to just focus on my main. 

Catch-up mechanics is fine, someone else starting the game 2 weeks after me having all paths higher than I am is not. 

7 minutes ago, Tomochan said:

From another topic:

If this is actually the case, it's such a slap in the face for higher levels who just leveled one path.

I am level 44 with main path 35. My other paths are 25 and 10. I haven't noticed an XP penalty yet so I can peacefully reach level 45.

However, now I will just have to level my alt-paths from 25 to 10... sloooowly. Why would I do this? It'd be much better to just focus on my main. 

Catch-up mechanics is fine, someone else starting the game 2 weeks after me having all paths higher than I am is not. 

I'm sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately you're now lvl 44. If you would have stayed lvl 40 and leveled your path you could have caught up quiet well.

It took me 1 week to get my lvl 40 warrior from path 36 to path 48. He is still level 40.

In saying that though. because your path is so low you will still be getting extra XP now. which will help you catch up quicker than prior to the patch.

Edited by Agoraphobia
Additional information

4 minutes ago, Agoraphobia said:

path 48

Wait, can you even do this?

I thought there was a cap to having a path higher than the server path level. 

Also I thought I was one of the higher path-leveled people on my server. At the time I was level 43 (35), majority was around 31-32.

Wait, are you on one of the older servers maybe? :D

Edited by Tomochan

19 minutes ago, Tomochan said:

Wait, can you even do this?

I thought there was a cap to having a path higher than the server path level. 

Also I thought I was one of the higher path-leveled people on my server. At the time I was level 43 (35), majority was around 31-32.

Wait, are you on one of the older servers maybe? :D

haha yeah I'm on the old AU server.

1 hour ago, Agoraphobia said:

haha yeah I'm on the old AU server.

Oh man okay... I thought I was massively behind due to something weird. Just checked the top path level on our server, it is 38.

A small heart-attack was avoided. ^_^

How can you gain enough experience to level just your paths without gaining the experience to level your character?

28 minutes ago, Helo said:

How can you gain enough experience to level just your paths without gaining the experience to level your character?

When you try level up your path without talent exp, a message appears confirming if you wanna use your normal EXP

My level 40 mage with path level 33 got hit by the debuff too now.  How is this supposed to be a catchup mechanic when it actually slows you down?

1 hour ago, Artifact said:

My level 40 mage with path level 33 got hit by the debuff too now.  How is this supposed to be a catchup mechanic when it actually slows you down?

Same here. Waiting a reply

It is purely dependent on your server. Since this is a "Social" game it is designed that everyone is equal. Same reason P2W isn't huge in the game. It is about building the community together. So if the highest path level is 33 then you will receive the debuff or if you have gained too much XP in one level.

For example even though I had 900% xp bonus. because i gained enough XP for 2 levels it was considered too much XP. so now its gonna take me 2 days to reach lvl 41 because of the debuff.

The whole idea of this xp method is to catch up within your server and not to compete with other servers. Especially the 6 month old server.

It is about strategy and unfortunately the top players will have to do the hard yard and level at minimum XP (As originally intended)

So remember, this is a "catch up" not a "Make me OP" situation.

1 person likes this

43 minutes ago, Agoraphobia said:

It is purely dependent on your server. Since this is a "Social" game it is designed that everyone is equal. Same reason P2W isn't huge in the game. It is about building the community together. So if the highest path level is 33 then you will receive the debuff or if you have gained too much XP in one level.

For example even though I had 900% xp bonus. because i gained enough XP for 2 levels it was considered too much XP. so now its gonna take me 2 days to reach lvl 41 because of the debuff.

The whole idea of this xp method is to catch up within your server and not to compete with other servers. Especially the 6 month old server.

It is about strategy and unfortunately the top players will have to do the hard yard and level at minimum XP (As originally intended)

So remember, this is a "catch up" not a "Make me OP" situation.

that's probably it. although im not too keen on the 'make everyone equal' thing. if we really needed that, just have everyone level 45 with 40 paths on character creation. the point of competing in a game is that people have different builds, levels, skills etc. i dont want to see a game where the only differentiating factor is how much money you pump into buying top end equipment.

Hi everyone,

I know this is a very confusing thing. I hope to have some clarification in the near future.

43 minutes ago, Sai said:

that's probably it. although im not too keen on the 'make everyone equal' thing. if we really needed that, just have everyone level 45 with 40 paths on character creation. the point of competing in a game is that people have different builds, levels, skills etc. i dont want to see a game where the only differentiating factor is how much money you pump into buying top end equipment.

Well it's not entirely equal. Some have more luck in forging and drops than others.

What I mean with that this helps everyone get to the same situation in regards to raiding.

Money will only get you so far. I think this is great for new comers as they can catch up to where end gamers are and thus making it easier to make parties for raids.

but if you work hard on your character there are so many other variables to help you progress and become better than others.

Idk why people are finding this so confusing. Let me clarify.

The xp buff applies to toons below the server cap based on the amount of experience that they have already earned.

So say a character is level 40 with path 30. That level 40 would have earn much less through Karenvale's Blessing than a level 40 with a lower path, even though they are on the same level. The blessing focuses on experience earned not level.

Another thing is that this system is divided into experience levels. So say you are level 39 right now and to level up to 40 you need 400,000 xp. The server knows that you need 400,000 xp to level up. When you earn up to 400,000 xp, Kavenvale's Blessing still applies to you, allowing you to gain much more xp. However when you try to level up your path and use, say 350,000 xp that you just earned to boost your path, this is when you risk getting Demon's Oppression. When you use high amounts of experience to boost your path, the server knows you should have leveled up by now (you passed 400,000 xp) but since you haven't you gain debuff until you level up.  This is implemented to prevent lower level players from using their 900% Karenvale's Blessing to level up their paths over higher level players. The point of this system is to allow them to catch up, not boost past the higher levels. So people that are leveling 3 paths because they think 900% blessing is helping them should instead focus on one like everyone else.

Anyway. quit complaining about 1% debuff. It is really not that much and compared to how much xp you really gain, 1% debuff is nothing. In order to get rid of Demon's Oppression, just level up to the next level. This will allow you to gain the experience buff again. Again, this system is made to help lower levels catch up, not surpass the higher levels.

I hope this helped. :) Good luck leveling!

Edited by buffspark900
2 people like this

Quick edit: Level 45s are an exception to the experience gained rule. A level 45 with path 35 will have a higher Kavenvale's Blessing than a level 45 with a higher path, regardless of the amount of xp gained. Keep in mind that leveling your path does have a significant impact on your character strength and it is your choice whether you want to keep the blessing or level up.

OK, so here is the deal with my main.

At character level 44, I had server max path level (38, IIRC) and 2.5M unsepent talent EXP. This unspent talent EXP comes from regular EXP conversion that was dumped into secondary talent tree and then reclaimed with potential potion.

At level 44 I had no debuff. Even more, at level 43 I had a 50% exp boost buff with (roughly) the same amount of unspent talent EXP. Of course I lost it at level 44 because I was no longer 2 levels below server level.

Now, the moment I hit level 45 I received debuff with following text:

"As your reserve EXP has far exceeded the level-up EXP, you have received a demon suppression effect. Experience reduced by: 50%"

This text makes no sense whatsoever to me. Level 45 is cap so there is no level-up EXP. Moreover I received this debuf just as I leveled to 45 which means the EXP toward next level at that point was 0%. Also, reserve EXP is the EXP you keep from uncompleted tasks as explained in EXP information tooltip. I have 0 of that. Can you use the same terminology everywhere?

Would dumping my unspent talent EXP into secondary path remove this debuff? Probably no. As I have guessed previously, this is not really talent EXP that they are measuring but total regular EXP at certain character level. It does not matter if it was converted to talent EXP. They keep track of how much you EXP you have accumulated during your character lifetime.

Anyone leveling multiple paths while staying 2-5 levels below 45, get ready for this debuff when you hit level 45. If you thought -1% debuff was bad, wait till you get -50% or worse.

Dumping your unspent talent EXP doesn't change your total EXP. I think at this point you'll just have to wait for the server talent level to go up.

If you haven't read the clarification post, it's here